View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3766443)   #686
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Its a good idea but-you have a franchise system for a series that has a lot of cashed up amateur drivers in it. In Supercars you get fines for non appearances, thats not gonna matter to a lot of those competitors who can't make it to one round-they're not gonna care, they'll just pay the fine and turn up next round. Its a completely different demographic. Oh you're gonna pay my tire bill, thats nice buts it loose change compared to what these people have.

GT racing has to cater to the amateurs as well as the pros, it a fine rope to walk but without the gentlemen putting the cash in the championship would suffer. And I'm not just talking about the amateurs in the cockpit........

Hopefully Supercars taking over the management role recognises this because they have to. There are some very wealthy individuals in that series, if you **** them off, theyre going elsewhere, they're not used to people saying no to them. I hope Supercars keeps on the likes of Ken Collier and Mat Coch, they're individuals with a lot of passion for the series and they do their job well, it'd be a sad day to see them go.
As an example of it working, Mr Koundouris is absent from Sandown this weekend, and his car is still running, without him, with a replacement driver.

My thinking is around value creation. Having a limited number of licences to compete will assign them a some value by stealth. A driver can own a car and a licence, and onsell them to other people if/when they choose to do something else.

It doesn't create a barrier to entry when an owner can sell it off at or near the acquisition price.

Free tyres will help with running costs. Despite other views, in my experience, if something can be supplied for free, it relieves an argument about participating.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House