View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1180704)   #25
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From an entirely mercenary point of view JDI, I think I could make a buck even with Konica as this place is mad for V8's.

The Hunter is probably best descibed as a White Anglo-saxon/Celtic socially conservative blue collar society. We represent the old schools foundation demographic that this series is built upon. Generally speaking we love out cars, we love our sport and we participate.

From my one day of real work a year in a business mum and dad have up at Singleton to my lazy Wednesday jaunts down to Garden City in Kotara to pick up the "Hot Sheets" (AA & MN) there is more HRT/SBR/FPR gear worn as everyday wear per capita than anywhere else in Aus I have been. (With the exception of the dude in the tatty FPR roundneck drinking Moet at the summit restaurant in Brissy last week. Spun me out that!)

This place is the the home of True Blue and Royal Red motorsport fans who can argue the merits of Cleveland versus Windsor and A9X v L34. Steve and Adrian at Klosters get over 5000 people to a bloody interview and autograph session with the Ford drivers every two years. That says something about the support in this town.

Would a street event in the Hunter be like Indy or Melbourne or even Clipsal. No. It wouldn't.

This would not be a glamour event. It would be a true Motorsport fans event in the spirit of Bathurst (no blasphemy intended) attended by punters that love the smell of exhaust fumes in the morning, believe the roar of a V8 is better than any melody and the sight of a supercar in flight more sexy than a supermodel.

After the days running Wests Leagues would be inundated by potential inhebriates looking to win their fortune on the pokies or even the upstairs horsey gamey thingy (that rocks!) and then walk out the doors as the sun rose, just in time to nude up and run through the sprinklers at harker oval as a shower and re suit up for another day at the track.

Fathers would not point at a car and say look son a broom broom. But rather discuss the ride height, set up and what times each car could do down Kooragang (in a controlled and safe environment of course!) because thats just how into it we are in this region.

I am aware of at least 12 guys (in 1's and 2's) that have attended over 7 rounds each year for the last two years all around australia (just for fun) because like many of us here they are nutters (but they obviously have spare wedge)

Will we ever see it. I doubt it ! but other than the skinny dip run through sprinklers it does make a pretty dream.