Old 17 Mar 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2154438)   #61
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
The prejudice is promoted out of self interest-- Porsche have not made turbo race cars since 1998(lots of turbo road cars-note) and coincidentally that same year the N/A GT3 was introduced. From that point on( a few years on to flow to Australia) Porsche themselves have done whatever to rule turbos out.Ironically? using similar language to Sheep Stations in this thread. Calling them "home made" specials and other non factual names.
It ought to be pointed out that historically some fantastic turbo race cars have dominated sportscar racing-- great cars that they were- their reputations were created in a period without much opposition- often overlooked that point.
Another issue that needs stating-- Porsche engines are relatively archaic deign when compared to modern Japanese engines that are capable of running relatively high boost levels-- the Porsche designs cannot reliably( read that as not very long at all) sustain high boost levels .This is a major issue that the knockers of convenience (to their own ends) are both ignorant of and do not want to listen to. It is another case of forget the facts --opinions prevail!!
It must be hard being an 'eddie expert' on everything hey Silver3?... I remember chipping you a while back for your personal attacks on another writer didn't I?. Now I'll have to bring you into line again as you have attacked my language as being anti-turbo. I've reviewed all my comments and find no anti-turbo sentiment at all. Because there is none.

You must be either an embittered ex-competitor or a failed promotor hey?...whatever.

As a fact (something you like to state as being your personal domain, the rest of us only have opinions) I have driven 911 turbos extensively and with some success in my own motorsport fishbowl and have no prejudice against them, far from it. But now I have a Cup Car and would like to race other guys with similar equipment in a cost effective competition...ooohh, it must be an evil plan to dominate the motorsport world. Get over it.

I nearly let the absolute cr@p that you write about Porsche turbo engines being archaic go, but its not my style. Fact:the basic crankcase style is from the 930turbo in the 964,993,996 turbos as well as the 964,993rs and GT3 normally aspirated engine. Fact:Porsche design standard is for the production engine to be less than half the horsepower output that the short engine can cope with. With a standard 996 turbo putting out 431 horsepower, you do the math, and they don't break.

...spent many a track day watching 'hi-tech' Japanese turbo's with a gizzilion horsepower leaving early on a flatbed whilst I merrily circulated in a 996 turbo doing quicker lap times with the a/c on.

Next time you want to run off me in this thread, get your facts straight Silver3.