Old 17 Mar 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2154474)   #66
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations

I nearly let the absolute cr@p that you write about Porsche turbo engines being archaic go, but its not my style. Fact:the basic crankcase style is from the 930turbo in the 964,993,996 turbos as well as the 964,993rs and GT3 normally aspirated engine. Fact:Porsche design standard is for the production engine to be less than half the horsepower output that the short engine can cope with. With a standard 996 turbo putting out 431 horsepower, you do the math, and they don't break.

...spent many a track day watching 'hi-tech' Japanese turbo's with a gizzilion horsepower leaving early on a flatbed whilst I merrily circulated in a 996 turbo doing quicker lap times with the a/c on.
You need to read more carefully what is actually said--- my comments on turbo engines are from experience -yes-- mine and many others-- and not exclusively Porsche. Your last paragraph actually gets it right-- push the boost boundaries and the the end result is as you say. You then talk of the 996 T continuing to circulate-- undoubtedly stock set up. That is the point I am making-- start modifying to far and the turbo problems arise. It is exactly that point that I was referring to on design. The Porsche engine is remarkably long lasting effective design-- but it cannot take high boost numbers-- like some of the newer Japanese designs . Start boosting the Porsche engine to the sort of numbers used on some of the Jap engines and it will be a major problem. Fact not fiction. This is not intended as a criticism-- a statement of fact. The confusion of reality by many people -and some should know better-helps create and fuel the myth trhat all yopu do to a turbo engine is raise the boost levels and you have nirvana.. Throwing out there the nonsense is uhelpfull in general.