View Single Post
Old 7 Nov 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3779175)   #122
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
An odd question to all you flaggies and marshalls that hang around here.

Exactly when is it safe to go on to the track?

I always though that if the SC boards and yellows were waved it would be OK to race out and grab a bit of plastic or a busted mirror off the track.

But now these clowns are flying around at warp speed under yellow to get back onto the queue, I don't think I'd ever venture over the barriers..........
I assume you are referring to Supercars - Any official should only enter onto the track after approval granted by race control. Race control has the car tracker system showing where every vehicle is and in this modern era of electronic coverage the cameras can be utilised to check things.

In other events where the tracker may not be available race control calls the shots once they are sure where cars are by referring to the timing monitor which can indicate sectors plus doing a progressive radio check with all points.

Even then you can get caught out when somebody parked well off the track in a safe position decides that the malady has resolved itself and they can re enter the track,often without requesting permission from the nearest post and sometimes very unexpectedly.