View Single Post
Old 26 May 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2212036)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
I know; how could they call it a "World" championship when they aren't in North America?? Mexico doesn't count and is too far for the average fan to attend.
Well, they can't go everywhere. And if you live in that part of Mexico, Puebla isn't that far . The FIA rules are that a World Championship must have races on 3 continents. WTCC has Europe, North America (Puebla), South America (Curtibua) and Asia. Possibly even a trip to Morocco next year, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote:
However, none of the cars in the series are available in the US.
I think you've answered your own question re. why they aren't going there. Don't sell the cars, the only advantage would be it being in a good TV slot for Europe. Not a justification for a long journey.

Quote:
But the FIA tends to do that, the F1 and Sportcar World Championships have long been decided without visiting the United States, which is quite funny.
Eh? The US got a GP in the early days of the World Championship (and have the Indy 500 count in the first ten, I'd like to know what the person who thought of having a race to a separate set of technical regulations was smoking). And for a considerable few years had two GPs. There's no World Sportscar Championship anymore.