View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1946672)   #38
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
In the early part of 1987 Channel 7 in Australia ran a few stories detailing what was happening in the lead up to the opening WTCC round (the first two ATCC rounds occurred before the WTCC started, and this was when all the controversy over Bernie was erupting).

Included in a story shown during the first ATCC round at Calder (March 1), Richard Hay (who was down here to commentate on the first two ATCC rounds for Channel 7) did a story on what was happening, amongst others who were entering, and it includes an interview with Win Percy, saying that TWR hadn't told him the plans yet, but Hay says that a pair of TWR Commodore's were planned for Walkinshaw/Percy & Jeff Allam/Denny Hulme. Included in this part of the story is a brief piece of footage of the TWR workshop, with a bunch of Commodore's (both VKs & VLs, 4 or 5 in total) visible, thats where i got the 'brace' from.
That's really interesting, as I don't think I remember there eing much coverage of Walkinshaw's Holden WTCC plans over here- the only picture I think I ever saw was a blurry testing shot of a plain white VK (I think...) with a couple of TWR stickers.

What puzzles me though is the mention of VKs- if they were building new cars from Holden Motorsport shells in the winter of 86/7, then why bother to build VKs and not go straight to VLs....

The only thing I can think of is that a couple of VKs were bought in from outside TWR for initial testing and assessment prior to building the actual race cars, or for some reason when the first test car was built it was easier to build it as a VK- maybe in late 86, before the VL was homologated?