View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3753576)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Just because you don't like the result doesn't mean that you trot out the F2 is rubbish line again. I've said before, F2 is a complex category with lots more variables than F3 or 3.5.

Rowland has his flaws - the over aggressive defending, inability to manage his tyres. Worse still, he's not showing capability of learning from his mistakes. The best drivers are the ones that adapt to whatever formula they're in; ultimately, Rowland's not quite doing that. We saw that too when he dabbled in Formula E a while back.
F2 does not have much.more variables. Its all about setting the car up to make dodgy tyres last!

Rowland's is main flaw is hot headedness and he gets a bit rash when the bullshit tyres go off and all his hard work goes out the window but the guy has such natural talent. He doed need to work on maxxing set ups but if you don't have the right engineer or tyres then you ain't gonna win.

The current F2 is not an accurate and consistent barometer of talent. In 12 years how many times have the quickest/most talented drivers won it?

About half at most i reckon off top of my head i can think of:
Rosberg
Hamilton
Glock
Hulk
Grosjean
Vandoorne

A few decent ones came through having not won it but the rest were journeymen benefitting from the best team/engineer/ weaker field that season

In a one make series if you have artificial rules and too much emphasis on one element (in this case tyre enginnering!) it is bound to give a false representation.