View Single Post
Old 18 Sep 2016, 19:01 (Ref:3673759)   #256
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Has anybody enjoyed the WEC this year?
Me.

But flippancy aside, I understand your point(s) and I would say that this is the least interesting season of the WEC so far. While that doesn't meant I think it has been bad or boring, I find myself thinking and talking more about the issues (fun as that can be at times!) rather than the racing.

But I don't think that's immediately a cause for concern, even if it feels like it compared to previous years. Look at where IMSA was just a couple of years ago, or ELMS two years before that, or FIA GT1 in the same year. To me this year's WEC hasn't come close to those nadirs, and in all three cases the series (IWSC, ELMS, Blancpain) have bounced back and are entertaining again for me. It's pretty much expected for a series to have its peaks and troughs, and if you really can't wait for the "good times" to return there's more than enough series to follow in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs
if we always live in fantasy of a better past and a better future we miss life. People are going to read about ... hah, showed my age ---- people are going to watch video or maybe telepathic reports about this season and appreciate it for things many of us miss ... just as we read books about past seasons and series and never think "Oh, the BoP was screwed, the politics ruined that year for me ... "

I try to see the present through the same filter of nostalgia through which we see the past and the same filter of hope through which we imagine the future ... these are "The Good Olde days" of the future, let's not miss them.
Good point Maelochs, the arguments and discord of years gone by tend to be left unwritten, or in some exceptional cases, take on narratives of their own. However I do wonder if/how this will change now that these conversations are effectively recorded for posterity.

Last edited by J Jay; 18 Sep 2016 at 19:12.