Old 27 Jun 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1018200)   #15
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
If you had one race (with a pre-whatever award winner) you could have the same number of entries and split qualifying. Top 16, say, go straight to the final and the rest in a heat with some going on to the final.

Same number of entries = same cash for BRSCC.

Heats/final = excitement. Like the 'old days.'

Everyone gets at least the same tracktime. Some get more. (May actually encourage more entries and more cash.) Those who can't test can treat the heat as a 'test' for the final if they wish.

Advantage to those who miss out by finishing too low in the heat at least they get to pack up early to watch or get home in time for Heartbeat...

Who loses in this scenario??
I suggested something very similar to this last year and the bruises are only just starting to fade.
Many in the Pre87 class saw it as the beginning of the end of FF1600 as they know it.
Another benefit would have been a full grid qualifier and a full grid final for the marshals and spectators.
There was even some concern that the possibility of getting two races on the day could be a big negative. The cost of having to do extra track time would mean that fewer meetings could be afforded to compensate for additional engine wear, tyre usage etc. and entry levels would fall.
I am expecting at least two ten tenths members will be emailing me very shortly after I press 'submit reply', but I am still totally in favour of qualifying race and a final.