View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2002, 04:34 (Ref:260649)   #18
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: How Can F1 Be Made More Exciting?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
...if the horsepower, revs, chasis & aeropackage of teams are not on an equal basis...still it dosen't make any difference.
I'd agree with that.

Quote:
Reduction in downforce by 50% ???

Downforce is needed for drivers to negotiate corners avoiding understeer and oversteer in which the most of the total downfoce generated on a car is at it's front & rear wings.
I'm suggesting that increasing the mechanical grip (bigger tires) would be able to compensate for lessening downforce. Actually, my "set-up" would produce much faster speeds in slow corners and chicanes, where aerodynamic grip is less of a factor than mechanical grip.

Quote:
The percentage of downforce on the front wing will reduce by more than half if a car is directly behind another in a straight line.
I'm suggesting that smaller wings will disturb the air less, creating less turbulence for the following car.

Quote:
Are you suggesting the cars to make do without wings? then we'll witness more of flying cars ....the rear wing of a car works like of the aeroplane wings whereby it lifts the plane up but of the opposite for a car it pushes the car down with the help of the diffuser to suck it further down.
Not without wings, just smaller ones. There are hardly any truly fast corners on GP cicuits today, so aerodynamic grip isn't as important. Bigger tires increase grip at all speeds, whereas aerodynamic influence decreases as does speed.

Quote:
Increase tyre size by 25%???

The tyres will be heavier so they will be more drag...
Bigger tires won't add more weight to an F1 car (the teams use ballast right now to meet minimum weight specs). The bigger tires would create more drag, of course, but smaller wings could reduce drag by a compensatory amount.

Quote:
It's difficult to overtake in F1, because like what TGF had said previously..people who dosen't actually have the experience of driving F1 car won't know. Apart from being sucked when you behind someone in a straight, the total downforce is reduced on the front wing when you are near to a car infront and while negotiating a corner...so there's understeer to control.
Exactly. With less aerodynamic aids, and more mechanical grip, this situation would be mitigated to a certain extent. My set-up would produce a car that would create less air turbulence ("dirty air") for the following car, and more mechanical grip to pull off great overtaking manoeuvers.