View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2002, 04:53 (Ref:260653)   #19
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Actually Davyboy, I brought up the subject of banning on board computers long before that thread, and this subject has been discussed at length in this forum many times before. Probably about a year or so ago. I have long been a proponent of banning on board computers. Rather than promoting F1 sa the ultimate racing series (drivers and technology), I would prefer that F1 offered a series where the best drivers competed. Full Stop. Sure we can improve technology to the point where cars can actually be braked by sensors located at the braking points, steered around corners by remote control from control towers, and so on. I'd rather see the drivers be fully in charge of the operation of an F1 car, changing gears, putting the power down on the road to gain maximum traction for acceleration, just for starters.
Yeah, I figured that electronics have been discussed here before - it's a hot topic of debate in most forms of motorsport.

I agree - I'd prefer to see the drivers in control rather than the black box. TC should be "Toe Control", not "Traction Control".

By the same token, a lot of money people, and even fans, expect to see technological sophistication in F1. While you and I might like to see a return to carbs and (real) manual gearboxes, I just don't see it happening.

But.....we could look at Nascar for a moment. I'm not a huge fan of oval racing, myself, but Nascar has a HUGE following here in N.A. - with cars that are primitive compared to road cars, let alone F1 cars - because the competition is closer, and a good portion of the field has a reasonable chance of winning. Definitely something to consider.

As a sidenote: I can remember an F1 team boss (not sure who, though) suggesting that F1 could be contested without drivers!!!. That was back in the days of the fully-active Williams. I'm not sure if it was Frank that said that, but at that time he was of the opinion that a monkey could drive his car competetively!