View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 10:00 (Ref:825574)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, isn't this just a topic to raise people's opinions. It amazes me when people comment about the BTCC being too full of new drivers and say that it would be better with a return of the old names. Just remember that at one time, the old faces were the new drivers. We need new talent coming into any series and surely it's best to have a mix of talented newcomers and established drivers.

I think most people will be most attracted to the time period when they got interested in the BTCC and undoubtedly we saw some fantastic racing in the early nineties which makes people hark back to that as a glory era. As has been said it was certainly on the decline by 1999 and 2000 was just dire, the ST era had to come to an end and the BTCC needed to evolve into what it is today. It wouldn't have been feasibly for costs to continue to rise, it would have become more and more elitist. As it is, 2001 with the new rules wasn't the greatest, but the BTCC has been doing a good job of re-establishing itself and I'm sure will continue to in 2004. Daz90, you really should catch up and see a few races before you claim that the BTCC has been dying since 1999.