View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3329146)   #66
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
There is a very rude, unmentionable word to describe the solution to the Australian motor industry problem.
It is TARIF!
There I said it. It has become a swear word in Australia under the neo-cons and Murdoch and the Globalisation fans but in varying forms it is practiced by every country with an auto industry. Except Us.
The Australian auto industry has just about the lowest effective level of subsidy/protection of any auto industry in the world. It is also subject to management decisions by people who are based in, and politically beholden too, foreign countries.
Unfortunately we have a long history of selling out our innovation, industry and control to overseas interests. Until someone has the guts to take back control we will continue on the slippery slide towards third world status.
Maybe there is another rude word we need to think about Nationalisation.
But then we have been privatising our best publicly owned assets for years now so there is probably too much momentum in that direction to halt it, let alone reverse the problem.
Wow your obviously very independent on this. Remind me again who rejected tariffs in May 2013. why its was Fairfax and ABCs love child PM Julia Gillard.

I think you might want to rethink your rant. Both sides of politcs have backed tariff reductions