View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1336919)   #19
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SRB isn't upset with Piglet's post, she was just emphasising how expensive a thing like this can get.

I am so glad Tracey was there at the time to think straight, start first aid despite being ill herself, getting the medics by going to the main gate and dealing with people who spoke NO English and then staying with me throughout the day.

Tracey spoke to the insurance company initially and got the ball rolling, whilst I was in no state to talk to anyone, and then spoke to my mum.

Once discharged back to the campsite (why I'll never know!) I went down with heat exhaustion, Tracey was struggling with that too, but put me first and came back to the med centre with me and we both got treated. Eventually, we were both given the all clear (with me in just my undies and a bad taste shirt). Tracey then fought to get us a lift back to the campsite. We eventually got dropped off half a mile from the campsite (around an hour's 'hop' back) and she harrassed English cars for water for me and made me rest in the shade of buses!

What didn't help was the insurance company telling us something different to what had been discussed with Piglet, therefore making matters even more confusing and stressful (at several points during the day, we both thought we were stuck in France!). However, Tracey had made tentative arrangements to get us home somehow, plus sorted money for ferries and care for me once back in England with her mother. I'm very grateful to Andrew for his part in that too.

On Monday we finally managed to get off the campsite to go to Tours via the hospital again to get a fit to fly certificate and my plaster sorted (again an Oscar to Tracey for acting prowess to sort that - she should do Give Us A Clue!). Taxis for Monday only cost £125

Once checked in, we decided we needed food (first proper meal in a couple of days!) so we tried the hotel, but they didn't serve food during the day, so we ended up in a nice little cafe eating spaghetti and a slice of ham with gravy (yum!) Tracey insulted my cooking by saying that odd mix was the best meal she'd had for ages!

We booked a table for dinner for 8pm at the hotel, went for a nap and then cancelled dinner and slept on until morning! Tracey sorted out a 'bed bath' for me - my first decent wash in three days - and washed my hair, helped me inject the medication I've been given and dress, and then provided a waitress service at the buffet breakfast for me.

The half hour taxi ride to the airport only took 10 minutes, and once we'd managed to check in, I was sat in the cafe whilst Tracey sorted out drinks and getting me on the plane and the hassle we had with security. I now have first hand experience of how nervous a flyer she is, but she coped commendably reminding me to keep moving my toes. Once at Stansted and off the plane (Tracey threatened to kiss the ground Pope-style!) with me in a wheelchair and our rucksack on her back, she pushed me around the airport and out to the taxi - the first thing apart from the flights that we didn't have to pay for.

I am now at home, being threatened that my crutches will be wired to a battery and used as a cattle prod whenever I try to move without Tracey's help. The love has rearranged holiday to look after me for the rest of this week.

I couldn't have gotten through the past few days without her, and the report I have heard that she was totally useless in France is totally wrong! She may not be one to sort out insurance companies, but she is great for patient care, compassion and piece of mind!

Thanks also to Piglet and Simon for liasing with the insurance people and financial assistance, which I will repay as soon as possible.

I really hope my doctor says I can have alcohol on my medication (or better still cut the medication out!), because I could really do with a beer!!!

Next question - can anyone help with me moving house in a couple of weeks????