View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3814806)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I guess I was right, this is a stop gap decision so the category can take a breath and make some decisions. Super Cars has sort of run itself into a cul de sac not of its own making but a dead end none the less. The domestic manufacturing industry no longer exists, the manic insistence on parity and the world wide change to electric power including every European manufacturer joining Formula E which tells you exactly how they are thinking and where they are going. Maybe the only way forward is a bespoke engine, if they want engine parity there really is no other choice but the economics don't add up because of the economic size of the category, there simply is not enough money involved TBH.

On the other hand an all electric future might be cheaper if approached the right way. The entire drive train would get the sand shoe out the door, two electric motors at the wheels and a battery pack would be a more simple and a less maintenance intensive scenario, no gearboxes, diffs, engines etc to keep pouring money into as electric motors don't need all the crap that goes with a conventional driveline and shells would be much easier to construct as a standard battery pack would be used. The category management would supply all battery packs for the race meeting along with charging facilities etc. The big drawback to all electric is us, the fans like noise and electric cars don't make much of that.

I will bet money that an all electric car would be cheaper to race than a conventional IC car once all the infrastructure is in place. Whether it would be successful as a spectator category is doubtful at the moment but the time will come when racing is either a fall back reminiscent type of past time with old fashioned IC motors or motor sport gets with the program and goes full electric because all manufacturers are now moving forward with electric cars with the US as the stand out exception. It is not going to be a case of what you want to drive but what the manufacturers offer form the mid twenties onward, that much is clear.
good Read thanks

Lots of good thoughts