View Single Post
Old 3 Apr 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3723501)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Silverstone 24hrs 2017

Another running of the event done, another thoroughly enjoyable week-end. Still don't understand exactly why I like it so much, but I do.

I seem to have cursed a couple of cars. I was supporting the Team Abba BMW because it's Shorty and he's a good bloke, and the Lotus Exige because we had a lovely chat with them in the garage on Thursday evening whilst showing a colleague who was new to Rescue at circuits around the pits. What was nice about that was every garage we went to were very welcoming and let him have a good look over roll cages, door fixings and all sorts of other bits and pieces.

On the event, just three minor points stood out as wanting attention.

1) It's really not necessary to wave the Code 60 for a whole lap's worth of cars. They all react pretty quickly, even the ones who are a little slow on the uptake. 30 seconds then stationary is much easier and much less tiring on the marshals. Especially when the breeze is in exactly the wrong direction as it was on my post, resulting in a purple stick or the need to use both arms to wave it.
2) Same goes for the green afterwards. They've seen it, they're racing, bring it in. Partly because it's pointless after that, and partly because if you're waving that you can't use the radio or wave anything else without first putting it down.
3) White numbers on pale orange background are useless at night, particularly when you're on a post where every car dazzles you twice before you get a side view. Take a look at #138 and make that the standard. Nice and clear and easy to read day and night.
4) These days everyone has an FM radio on their mobile phone which is perfect for following the commentary. Except the commentary has gone to 1602MW. Which nobody has on a portable radio any more. Please Silverstone, go back to FM. Failing that, an excellent gift for the marshals would be a personal radio tuned to the commentary frequency.

What was good was the comparative absence of track limits clogging up the airways and the general running of the event. It's clear the Race Director wants the drivers to run to a certain standard and also that they appreciate our efforts.

Going back next year? Definitely.