View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2010, 05:02 (Ref:2760704)   #42
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update and new flow data

Gentlemen,

It has been a while since I updated this thread, but progress has been slower than I hoped. Since my last post I have gotten my pistons made, sleeved my block down to 81mm, made a crankshaft, recieved my new cam blanks and new cam followers, and finished up my flow work on the cylinder head. I have now selected a cam profile based on the flow data, so the cam grinder can get to work finishing up the camshaft. I needed to replace some missing or damaged timing gears, and those gears are now cut but need heat treating to be complete. I am hoping I can start on assembling the engine as soon as the gears are finished.

The flow data on the cylinder head was disappointing. The stock intake port flowed 150 cfm @ 28" vac. which was less than I was expecting. We were able to get the one "large valve" head I have up to 185 cfm @ 28", but I am told that even a mildly ported Twincam head would be over 200 cfm. The low lift flow was really down compared to a Twincam. The good news is that the flow numbers were the same with the intake manifolds and carbs bolted on, so at least I don't have any restriction there. I was able to pick up 7 cfm by stepping up the venturi size in the carbs by 2 mm.

Please let me know if there are parts you would like photos of or additional detail I can provide. I will be busy the next couple of weeks, but after that I plan to get the first engine together and on the dyno pretty quickly.

Rob