View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2011, 06:02 (Ref:2812265)   #43
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SCC engine update

I am assembling the one SCC 1100cc engine I got in my parts package. The SCB project is on hold until I can sort out some gear backlash issues. The head has been decked in the past, which of course means the backlash between the gear attached to the head and the gear attached to the block is now zero. I am getting a thicker head gasket made to take care of the issue.

I only just recieved the folder with the paperwork that came with my engines. It included a copy of the Cosworth "manual" for the SCC. It is 6 typewritten pages, and includes the specs and assmebly instructions. There was also a drawing of the crankshaft snout and crank gear included, which was really helpful, and a drawing of the standard SCC pistons. It was pretty interesting pressing the crankshaft gear and its drive quill into the nose of the crankshaft, but I now have the hang of it. Requires some pretty precise grinding of the quill in order to get the press fit just right.

I have also made some pretty significant headway on gathering the parts to make one of the engines fuel injected. I have managed to buy an original SCA Lucas metering unit mount, which was going to be a real pain to fabricate. I also now have a proper 6mm metering unit, a mechanical pump, injectors, and most of an intake manifold with slide throttles.

I have had a couple of people ask me how they can build up an SCA out of bits. I think you could buy or make most of it, but the cylinder head would be the problem. You can't just make one from scratch, and I don't know where you can buy any spare.

Regards,

Rob