View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2986250)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Don't worry, it'll come i'm sure. There's plenty of Group A fans on 10-10ths!!

Well regarding the prospective British entry I seem to recall it being reported that one car was rumoured to be entering in either 1985 or 1986. I can't remember the exact detail of the stories but either John Maguire or Julian May might have been the names connected with possibly Patrick Watts or someone like that as a driver. The car wouldn't have been new but I believe sourced from Sweden, not Eggenberger.

However I suspect that the names of the entrants and drivers are not accurate!!

It may just have been speculation at the time as it never materialised - I was gutted as at that time the series struggled for quality and quantity so any additional competitive entries would have been brilliant!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think you're wide of the mark here. I have a hunch that I know who it was, but would like to know EXACTLY what the magazines said at the time before I spill the beans here... Come on chaps, get the quotes from Autosport!
I tripped over the news item about this while looking through some old Autosports and MNs at the weekend- and didn't think to take a note of the date....
Next time I get a chance to look back through them, I'll take a note of the source and exactly what was said- it definitely mentioned Patrick Watts as the potential driver, and IIRC suggested support would come from one or more UK Volvo dealers- I think it also said the car was likely to be one of the ex-Belgian Dealer Team cars from 1984