Thread: TCR UK 2024
View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2024, 17:26 (Ref:4201896)   #75
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Thanks for that update. RE the Winfield and Shepherd "worth giving it another shot?" point - if it was deemed in the best interests of the championship to have more proven winners on the grid, would the championship coordinators (the Lines family) perhaps step in and offer some gentle assistance?

That was behind my thought process with Powell. Whilst he was largely quite slow in BTCC (although there are some mitigating factors such as the equipment at his disposal in 2022 and the un-competitiveness of One Motorsport last year), I wouldn't say he was a million miles off Boardley. TCR has rejuvenated Boardley - perhaps its the relative lack of stress and the motivation of being able to fight for wins (and of course then win a title). Both factors could help Powell. As for the FK7, I completely agree - its still a decent bit of kit but lacking the performance upgrades of a CUPRA Leon Competicion or an Audi RS 3 LMS Gen II. It'll be interesting to see if the FL5 returns later in the year.
Not sure about the grid being 'shored up.' From the outside one has to assume that TCR will make less money than last year. I did read an interview where Powell said something along the lines of 'Boardley in his Cupra was no faster or slower.'