Thread: 2018 TCR UK
View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3761090)   #144
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
Anyway, I was dubious at first but this looks like it could be a great addition to the UK Motorsport scene, hopefully without denting the BTCC too much (which I don't think it will).
I guess the risk to denting the BTCC comes from whether BTCC teams will move to TCR or enter alongside their current commitments.

Getting TCR in the minds of the general public will be the point where BTCC is at threat, and this could happen if people have 'names' to follow.

If Team Dynamics and WSR are serious about their concerns over NGTC BoP, adopting TCR could see the likes of Shedden, Turkington and Jordan (all former BTCC champions) considering a move.
If that were to happen, then overnight the TCR package would become a serious threat to BTCC.
Motorbase are also struggling for results in BTCC, and have expressed an interest in TCR. There are already TCR Ford (and Hondas) so the switch could be relatively easy.

I don't think it is far from feasible (given talk already being made) to see the following in TCR within 3 yrs:

WSR BMW - Turkington and Jordan
TD Honda - Shedden and Simpson
Motorbase Ford - Jackson and Butcher
888 Subaru (WRX) - Sutton and Taylor-Smith