View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1638846)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Al, I wonder if that's the car ian beckett referrred to earlier? Who's is it and the colours?

Overall my favourite 635's were the CC Motorsport run BMW GB cars as already mentioned. Weaver was a great draw for the series with his acrobatic driving. His battles in '84 with the Rover's and Frank Sytner's similar car were top value. As a 9 or 10 year old lad I was always dead excited to bve taken to a BTCC round that year just to see what he did!!

It's a shame they didn't continue into the following couple of seasons, but the model was always better suited to long distance events rather than the sprint format IMO. Got a feeling the Goodyear's that CC did a deal to run weren't perhaps as good as Pirelli's that Sytner and the crack Euro teams favoured.

This maybe a topic to explore a little within the thread because I could never understand how a car with roughly 100bhp more than the Rover in standard trim could be so utterly outclassed as a pukka race car?!

I'd guess that's because the Vitesse was the equivalent to BMW's M version as alluded to by John Turner earlier in the thread and as John says if Munich had homologated that car (did a hack ever run?) then things might have been very different.....

What can be said is that the 635 offerred a competitior brilliant reliability and a genuinely competitive car over longer distances and people were obviously prepared to pay a reasonable amount for them because Mr Sytner once said 'that it was like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut' As the cars weren't all that cheap to run?