View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3745941)   #8
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes sure you're right but there are several homologation forms for the Mustang. If you have a look to appendix J from period I'd say Group 1 was strictly original, Group 2 few allowances and the slightest alteration sent you directly in Group 5.
During '64 Tour de France, there were 3 AMR and another - slower pedaled by Henri Greder engaged by Ford France- . All the bodies look original.
Gerard, Jackie Oliver was racing the Mustang in club events so I don't suppose it mattered what was or wasn't homologated. The team could always put the bumpers back in place for an international. The event where I photographed the car was simply a 7-lap Saloon Car race, divided into three classes on engine size.

I don't have the programme for the 1968 500km race, so can't readily tell you what rules that was run to. I do seem to remember the result was a bit of a surprise - minnows taking on the big fish, so to speak.