View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3762838)   #22
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I just put down what I saw in the RACER piece from Mark Miles' statement.

I am starting to wonder though. IndyCar could well have Gutierrez in a seat for a race in Mexico City. However, there's another piece.

I'd say it's looking increasingly unlikely that Sergio Perez is at Force India next season, and I can't see him settling for a ride with Sauber or whoever. So, what are the chances he isn't even in F1 next year? He brings sponsorship, and if it's significant in F1 terms, it would be plenty for a full-time seat in IndyCar. Also, as with a number of venues, I know rumors have been floating, even in such a short time, about concerns over the sanctioning fee for the F1 Mexican GP.

So, if IndyCar can line up two Mexican drivers with F1 levels of name recognition, is it totally impossible that they could TAKE the Mexico event over?

(I honestly wonder if Perez is somehow tied to the terms of the Mexican GP contract. That would make things VERY interesting indeed.)