View Single Post
Old 6 Oct 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2770404)   #34
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Ever heard of Lotus? Manufacturers and winners of many constructors titles (7 WCC's I think, to go with the 6 WDC titles.)

Actually whilst on the subject, you also overlooked Matra, French car manufacturers, who won the WDC & WCC in 1969.

McLaren have also manufactured cars since launching the F1 (3 seater) roadcar project in the early 1990's... more latterly they built the McLaren Mercedes Sports Coupe at their Woking factory, and of course they are soon to be marketing (it has already been released to the world) their own range of road cars.

You could also say Alfa, Maserati and Mercedes came close, winning WDC's in the years immediately prior to the WCC being introduced in 1958. They likely would have won the WCC to back their Drivers titles had there been a WCC from the start of the WDC. But I am splitting hairs really, the point you make is very valid.

I know you are probably talking of Championships here, but both Honda and Porsche won races in their own chassis, powered by their own engines. (Honda won 3, one each in 1965, 1967 and of course 2006), Porsche winning the 1962 French GP in the hands of Gurney.
I was suggesting that Porsche would be only the third car manufacturer to become WCC winners if they produced a winning engine and chassis. Lotus never won with a Lotus engine, Matra didn't win with their own engine, McLaren have never won with their own engine - though maybe one day? Similarly Mercedes haven't - yet. Who knows what Rosberg & co can manage in 2011?

I don't think 'nearly' winning would suit Porsche - they wouldn't want to be just another Honda, Alfa Romeo, BMW effort that failed. Providing only winning engines rather than cars has never harmed Ford/Cosworth, Tag Porsche, Honda or Mercedes however.