View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3118086)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the real issue lies with the way the sport is promoted, the stadium owners and operators do themselves no favours by being so incredibly insular, and political. Wimbo should be full most race nights but its far from it. Oval racing has simply not kept up with the times - its a 1980's sport in the 2010's, indeed instead of modernising the ORC members have just squabbled. Oval racing seems like an end of the pier entertainment from the Carry-On film era, and looks as dated. It could be so so much more than it is but unless someone with real vision and a little bit of budget takes over the NHRPA, BRISCA and Spedeworth the sport will slowly die.

I was talking earlier with a major car manufacturer about racing, and they looked at the Velodrome events in the Olympics, especially the points race and pursuit and said "wouldn't that be fun indoors with Electric cars?" hard to disagree.

Kelvin knows my thoughts on this only too well but, hell if I won one of those mega jackpots in the lottery I'd buy as many oval tracks and series as possible, and within 3 years I'm certain I could double my money by just updating the whole thing and putting a bit of attention to detail into the branding, marketing and business model. I know how lucrative the sport is and also how many opportunities have been missed.