View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3766845)   #81
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It is also all very well that the manufacturers be allowed to showcase their technology, however they should not be allowed to charge the customer teams exorbitant bills to provide the PU's.
was just thinking about this when reading about Merc's new hypercar.

using technology based on their F1 engine program, reportedly, they are about to produce 275 cars with a price tag of around 2mil per (apparently all of which are already sold)...conservatively thats 600mil before any after market upgrades, storage, and factory support packages owners will no doubt have to buy as well. thats a pretty large windfall from their f1 program.

so while, i can understand them wanting to sell their engines to f1 customers for a profit, its also clear that they have other ways, beyond having their customer teams foot the bill, to monetize their F1 engine program.

obviously there are a lot of numbers i dont have access to, so this is just a broad generalization, but i think its a fair question to ask why their F1 customers are being asked to subsidize their engine program given that Merc clearly have the ability to realize a return on their R&D cost via a hypercar program (and also potentially down the road through their road car divisions).

going one step further, i think its reasonable to suggest they be required to sell their engines to F1 teams at or below cost.