View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2018, 01:56 (Ref:3807641)   #42
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I guess there is a difference in that way. Triple 8 were Ford for only a few years.

But i know that HRT merchandise had decreased significantly after Triple 8 went to holden. The fans changed teams, but stayed within the brand

Look i pay attention to Erebus just because of the SBR link in the past, but my deep passion to support them has gone, would be the same with DJR if they were another brand

Growing up in AFL i was a fitzroy supporter, they merged with Bribane bears in 1996 and i was really pleased for them when they won premierships in the early 2000s, I would still be pleased for them if they won another grand final. But my passion for the team is less, I dont buy their merchandise, I only watch them play on tv if i have nothing else on. and i dont go and watch them play when they are in Victoria.
That would be the same with supercars and the the current ford teams.
Can I tell you about the Western Force?

"Support" comes in different forms. For example I am happy to see Brad Jones team go well from memories of their Audi Super Tourers and the battle that was the Ozemail AU Falcon. That and Kim's sprays he used to deliver on the tellie. But do I get invested in a BJR win the way I would if DJR won something. Probably not. Can that sort of support be turned into merch. Probably not. Do I think better of their sponsors for backing BJR rather than just spending coin on tv ads or social media campaigns. Definitely.

As for the Ford thing. Ford have been out of touring car racing more often than they have been in it. They have a knack of getting publicity without spending the kind of money other car companies do. For example the 2017 WRC was won in a Ford with minimal factory backing. Certainly nothing like the Citroen/Volkswagen juggernauts of recent years. But the suspicion is they haven't ever properly understood it since the 1960's and the brand loyalty is a bit luke warm as a result.

Does any of it matter to their core market. Probably not. I don't know why you would buy a Ranger but it probably isn't anything to do with DJRTP. You may buy a Focus because of the rally heritage and epic AWD turbo nutter driveline. But not many of those get sold.