View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2336663)   #34
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you find my comments harsh, you must be biased...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Junqueira and Hunter-Reay were nowhere in A1GP. Briscoe was top six but didn't win. Marco Andretti was midfield last weekend and don't even get me started on Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice...
Well, for a start I didn't even mention Andretti or Rice in my list of "more complete" drivers, as I don't think they are.

Secondly, Junqueira has been a regular challenger for wins in Champ Car (against some impressive talent) for many years, almost picked up a championship and won the F3000 title. Hunter-Reay, while not his biggest fan, has mixed it with name drivers (usually in lesser machinery) for many years.

That the did not cover themselves in glory in just a couple of A1GP races does not diminish the rest of their careers to date.

As for Briscoe - he is a former F1 test driver, EuroF3 champion, and multiple IRL race winner that turned his back on an F1 drive to join Ganassi. And outside of Briscoe and Power, who has managed to get the Australian car anywhere near the podium on merit?

Quote:
Of the only current field only Hwang from South Korea would be completely out of his depth (as he is in A1GP), Khan and Hermanto would be at the back but would not disgrace themselves. Morad was pretty decent in Atlantics I am told but is near the back in A1GP (going by last weekend

Neel Jani and Adam Carroll would be looking to win in the IRL first time out, Doornbos was Champcar rookie of the year, Bamber was a close second on his GP2 debut...others on here can no doubt add further examples.
Of the drivers confirmed for Sepang, I reckon only Jani, Carroll, Duval and Watts would be certainties to mix it near the front of the IRL field. Maybe add Bleekemolen, Zaugg, Karthikeyan, Bamber, Piccione and Martin on the odd good day.

There is no comparison.

Quote:
...and by the way am expecting Danica Patrick to be well and truely found out when she tries A1GP.
Danica Patrick does not accurately represent the driving abilities of the IRL - did you see Surfers Paradise? Whenever she has to turn both ways it gets embarassing. That's like using Hwang as the representative for A1GP talent.