View Single Post
Old 12 Oct 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3773831)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The official EU position is that it is only to be applied to vehicles in traffic. I can't imagine they are going to have loads of depositions from people who want it extended to include circuit racing as well.
That's not correct, the official position of the Court of Justice of the European Union is that the duty to insure extends to the accident circumstances in the Vnuk case (on private land, with the vehicle not used in traffic).

'It found that the wording 'use of vehicles' covers any use of a vehicle that is consistent with 'the normal function' of that vehicle. The judgment made no specific reference to the duty to insure extending to private property (such as the farmyard in which Mr Vnuk was working) but it seems an inevitable conclusion that the court's view was that it did. In addition, the ruling could lead to a stream of cases dealing with how you determine "the normal function" of a vehicle and indeed how far the definition of 'vehicle' extends.'

https://www.weightmans.com/insights/...the-vnuk-case/

The official EU position as a whole is not defined yet, and they are still consulting with a number of options proposed. One of those is that the application should only apply to vehicles in traffic - but that is not clear yet.

The DfT Impact Assessment of the EC Directive as it stands is that 'third party insurance [will be] required in respect of a range of vehicles, including non-road going vehicles and vehicles used on private land.'
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...assessment.pdf