Thread: Monza Redesign
View Single Post
Old 28 May 2016, 02:19 (Ref:3644991)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure that that new Turn 1 would even be a lift; I think the teams might pile on more downforce, with three additional corners that will make it matter, and that could make the new corner flat-out. At those speeds, this could be one of those rare cases in road racing where the aero-wash has a substantial, visible impact, and a guy following too closely might lose his front-end and go for a ride off into the boonies.

Keep in mind, the radius of this new first turn is less than half that of Curva Grande, and they'll be entering it at MUCH greater speed without a preceding chicane.

However, before we even get that far, with that quicker Turn 2/3 chicane, I don't see how the existing run-off outside the exit of Curva Grande could be considered adequate for F1 cars given the speed they'll be carrying relative to the bikes. And there's a road right outside the track back there, so that, and possibly other installations, would have to be moved in order to make more room. (Then again, it's still so much more space than there is through a certain sequence of corners on the new Baku street circuit.)

So, this would definitely result in a net loss of trees, no matter what, and it might require an expansion of the track's outer bounds. That being the case, I'm not assuming that this is set in stone, yet, thankfully.