View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2016, 04:09 (Ref:3632825)   #40
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd agree that Homestead, Kansas, Chicaoland, and Las Vegas have more banking than I want for open-wheel racing, at least for 1.5-mile ovals. However, Kentucky only has 14-degree turns, like Fontana and the outside of the turns at Iowa, so I don't really have the same worries about that one that I do with the other aforementioned, or places like Texas.

Thanks for clarifying that nickname thing with New Hampshire. I have to say though, that what made the racing on the 1.0-mile ovals so good with CART was the traffic, and having a real speed differential through the field. This led to some wild lines as the leaders were dicing and working around (soon-to-be) lapped cars. You don't have that now, so even at New Hampshire or Milwaukee, it's not the same deal as it was back then.

I'd off-and-on thought that it would be interesting to see Indy Cars at Rockingham, at least once. It's an irregularly-shaped oval, kind of like Nazareth, but with corners banked like Texas/Charlotte/Atlanta. However, with it only being a 1.017-mile oval, I'm less concerned specifically with the banking angle. The tire degradation and ability to use multiple lines in the turns would certainly be MUCH better than what the IRL faced at Dover.

And yes, I absolutely would like to see a major series, with TV coverage, back at Portland.