View Single Post
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2987258)   #21
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now official: Autosport-Mikko Hirvonen replaces Sebastien Ogier at Citroen

Indeed Ogier is unanimely expected to be confirmed at Ford, so it's a direct swap. The reason I thought he was heading for Volkswagen was because I have read interviews of Volkswagen Motorsport's boss Kriss Nissen in which he confirmed trying to snatch Ogier (after failing to secure Loeb's services) was amongst the priorities. And Carlos Sainz was sharing the same opinion.

But it's good news for Ford, because not only they get strong fresh blood to shake things a little, plus signing a new driver's contract proves the CEO board must have given the green lights to continue the WRC program, which was not looking obvious recently.

Also, both manufacturers have diversified their line up with that move, which is good for both from a marketing point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Also will be intresting to see what happens with Petter, Only works drive left would be VW, but is he a good test and development driver as thats what they need. They have said they want 2 front running driver.
Petter have been very keen to continue with his own structure if possible, but on the same time seemed to struggle a lot to find the fundings. Since the overall level of the championship is likely to increase further from now on, he'd be wise to revise his position and link himself with either Mini or Volkswagen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Think Mini will keep the 2 drivers they have, but after such a good first season, i wonder how many of the second string teams will switch from Citroen/Ford to Mini!
Yes! Mini has been quite a surprise. Their asphalt performance is really top notch. On the tarmac they're already ahead of Ford!

Sure Prodrive has such a score that it could seem obvious to some that they were going to perform well, but after the last years of the Subaru program, and the total Fiasco of the AMR-One sportscar journey, it was not so obvious they would meet succes with that Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
On the other hand I think Ogier needed to move - he's obviously very good but was number 2 behind Loeb, the move will give him a chance to stake a claim to the Ford team leader role (although Latvala will obviously be pushing for this too).
I think at least Ford do not decide who's number 1 before the season, unlike Citroen. So both him and Jari-Matti have their chance.