View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3705208)   #232
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed it's not very good is it?

But crucially all we are talking about here is GP2 and GP3 which have about as much relevance to general motorsport as tractor pulling.

It goes back to my point that the local championships should be permitted to support the Grand Prix. For me things have gone downhill since they tried to make it a show with the same series at each event. Back in the day we had FFord, F3, F2 (F3000), sports cars etc. All running separate events and meetings. F2/F3000 was an international championship and like Formula 1 had its own headline events, which again were supported by the various local championships.

As such that kind of structure not only encouraged spectators, provided showcases for the local championships and also provided many and various routes for drivers to progress. The top down approach using Formula 1 as the be all and end all of motorsport has removed all of these opportunities hence we get GP3 and GP2 none of which have local equivalents.
This has been an interesting discussion over the last couple of days and without the personal comments about drivers etcetera that I find so irritating.

I do believe you have a major point here Mr Mallet. The F1 circus has included what used to be called F3 and F2 into their events probably to give the drivers and their connections a feeling that they are "getting there" and hope they will impress an F1 team. Silverstone and other circuits in the UK did in the past put on F2 races and attract good crowds and could include domestic championships to fill the bill. International F3 races were less prominent and British F3 was seen as an important series to win and the chance to perform at the GP was their only opportunity to impress the F1 teams.

By lumping all the ladder events into one circus FOM have taken away an opportunity for the big circuits to have a second major international single seater race and for the domestic championships to be on the same bill.

Having all the eggs in the same basket as it were