View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2004, 15:06 (Ref:825176)   #4
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Gear: I agree with some of what you say, but Daniel Buxton more than deserves his place on the BTCC grid after proving himself in the very tough Clio Cup championship: champion and multiple race winner. Certainly, I can think of several so-called 'rising stars' out there who never really proved themselves in anything before reaching BTCC. And in many respects still haven't.

Buxton also showed he had more than enough speed to cut it with the best when he started getting to grips with the difficult Peugeot in 2003 (with no testing). He often set race laps faster than or the equal of his team-mate Dan Eaves, no slouch himself. Take Donington Park, for example, where he repeatedly lapped up to a second faster than Eaves until spinning after contact with Independents champion Rob Collard's superior Astra Coupe no less.

I agree that more 'star' names would be welcome, but so too are deserving rookies. Thompson, after all, was himself a 'rookie' back in '94, as was Plato in '97, although he got a terrific break with the Williams-Renault UK team - not many rookies get a chance like that. He was perhaps deserving of it, however: ie. a mega talent.

For me, the BTCC is more about quality than quantity. I'd rather have 18 very good drivers out there in cars turned out by teams worthy of a place in the BTCC, than 30 cars of which a dozen are either driven by no-hopers or that are ill-prepared/of shabby appearance.

On saying that, adequate-performing rich 'amateurs' are also welcome in my book, as they can sometimes perform giant-killing acts which are also great for headlines. Besides, you will always get a handful of these on a grid, no matter what the level of the championship.

Last edited by Jonny Apex; 1 Jan 2004 at 15:07.