View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 09:38 (Ref:825564)   #12
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm....

So, Top Gear only wants "experienced" drivers in the BTCC, so how are the unexperienced supposed to get their experience? *headshake*

If you'd been paying attention recently, you would know that Danny Buxton is a damn good driver, and Paul O'Neill's no slouch either! I don't think the BTCC needs "star power" to survive - good racing will do! The star effect will follow naturally once people prove themselves. The problem is that the audience for BTCC is not what it was. Back in the 80s and 90s, it was promoted and covered properly by the press and television. Now it's very much an afterthought, although it's getting better.
I do agree that the BTCC ought to be the premier saloon car series, and hence have the best and most proven drivers, but I also believe that if someone shows promise and talent (and can come up with the funding, as this is sadly what drives most contracts these days!), then why not give someone with less experience a chance?

You sound like someone who hasn't been in the club/national racing loop for a while - if you had been, you'd know why the Danny Buxtons and CB-Hs of this world are getting the chance to race in the BTCC.

daz90, I just love posts like yours, that go off on a huge rant about how things just aren't like they used to be, and how everything's going downhill and the series is dying yadda yadda yadda, and then you finish off with "i must admit that i havent followed it now for a couple of years, its just not what it was." So how can you give an informed opinion?

Why not get yourself down to a few races before making sweeping statements?