View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 16:06 (Ref:825772)   #19
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jonny Apex

I've also watched the BTCC for many years and without a doubt that era from around '92-'98 was quite exceptional.[QUOTE]

I think that's an important point- it WAS exceptional- the BTCC around 1994/5 was probably the only touring car championship in the world to have that degree of manufacturer support in terms of numbers of different manufacturers (what was it- 9 or 10?) competing with factory-backed teams, and I don't think there's ever been any other period in the history of the BTCC when so many manufacturers have been directly involved

[QUOTE] The sport has changed since then, however, and it is pointless trying to compare now with then. As Alan Gow has already said, you simply cannot have the same manufacturers compete again - some now own others and most won't have two of their brands competing against one another (Volvo/Ford, Nissan/Renault etc). It would need new manufacturers (MG, now Seat) to come in to get back to there being seven or eight makes on the grid. You have to move forward and adjust or you're left standing still. [QUOTE]

Exactly - how many of the manufacturers who competed in the BTCC and left it during that time are still competing in touring cars anywhere at the moment? Only BMW and Alfa immediately come to mind, and they've traditionally been two of the manufacturers who have supported touring car racing worldwide more than almost any other. What we've got now isn't perfect, but it's not bad- if we could get BMW or Alfa on board then we'd have pretty much every manufacturer currently running factory-supported touring car efforts (apart from the DTM) in Europe involved....

Last edited by KA; 2 Jan 2004 at 16:08.