View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2004, 22:07 (Ref:825999)   #23
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie
Another question to consider: does the "cult of personality" come about from the driver's natural character, or does some of it stem from being groomed by the media and pushed into playing roles? Would the rivalries in the 90s (Cleland/Soper, Smith/Sytner) have been as fierce if the drivers hadn't known the eyes of the whole country were on them? I'm sure if the media, and by extention the rest of the country, paid a little more attention to touring cars the personalities would emerge more.
I guess you could also turn that argument and say do we see less of the personalities today because the drivers are more groomed to be well behaved because that's what the sponsors want.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex

The (early) Eighties. Gordon Spice, Andy Rouse, Chris Craft. Capris. The debut of the Rover Vitesse (if I recall). All seen from Shaw's Hairpin, Mallory Park.
Okay, I'm jealous I only started watching on TV around 1988 and had to wait until 1993 before I actually saw the BTCC at a track for the first time.