View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2643656)   #45
simon mathews
Rookie

simon mathews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Sure am! I've got quite an interest in the Thundersaloons, so am always keen to hear from people involved with the cars.

Was it the car that Chris Hodgetts ran with an RS500 engine in, or the Cordy / Panter car? (or were those two the same?)
Hello, the car featured in the Simon Lewis photos is the Simon Pearson/Hugh Marshall car run on a shoestring budget in Thundersaloons from approximately 1991-1995. Simon purchased the ex-Cordy car, which had been run with a Cosworth BDT engine. We fitted it with the Vanderley built ex stars and stripes Manta engine, from memory the engine was 406 cubic inch with around 600 bhp and fitted to 6 speed Quaiffe gearbox. The sister car was the Chris Hodgetts/Nick Whale car with the RS 500 engine. This car was run by Specfab who originally built both cars for Toyota's assault on the group A series in England. The cars used several drivers in the first season of Group A, including we think, Hodgetts, Mark Hales Ian Flux and Vic Lee. I have a video of the BBC highlights of this season showing both cars in several rounds. Although off the pace of the Sierra's they were mixing it with the M3 BMW's and were qualifying around 10th. The Simon Pearson/Hugh Marshall car was also driven by Tim Lee-Davey, Val Mussetti and Don Manly at various times. The car was last run in 1995 and Simon Pearson sold the engine and gearbox over the next few years and I am now the owner of the rolling shell and spares such as they are. The car is complete, apart from the engine/box and apart from the modified rear arches and 'cossie' wing, is as it would have raced in Group A.