View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2767499)   #53
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Interesting piece by Jonathan Noble on Autosport web site agrees with Bernie that the new points sytem is not working and makes the case that the wide apread of points now available at each race makes drivers who have a couple of bad races seem 'out of it'. He quotes Hamilton for his last two races as an example and Alonso for simalr reasons earlier this year. Bernie argued that his medal system would be better but here, I agree with Noble, that would not be so but I also think Bernie was just stirring it
I disgaree with Noble whowever as I think the perceived insurmountable differences are just things generated by the press who have not really got to grips with the number of points for a good position in the next race. The press guys have been used to smaller points differences so that a 20 point gap seems big, give it a year or two and the poor souls will get used to it but then, perhaps writing off a few people's favourites once or twice a season is good press and makes headlines!
My view is that the system has worked well both in the battle for #1 and down the field with some decent racing going on for 10th place right up to the end.
I have not done a spread sheet of points and compared the results with this year's points and with last year's but would be interested to see how it would have looked at various points. One of the more statistically minded journalists may just do this.
I agree that the current system is not perfect, but the gold medal is way out of being the best solution... I think the very old system might work well.