View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3112435)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There is no hard-and-fast speed limiter in GT2, that I am aware of; the ACO has simply made it known that they would prefer the GT2s not exceed 290km/h, which isn't really an issue anywhere but at Le Mans itself. It wouldn't be an issue at all if they hadn't neutered LMP2 such that those cars can barely get past the GTs on the straights, regardless of the circuit.

If you limit a category's potential performance, so that every car has the same potential in most every area, passing will become nigh impossible. If you can't get a better launch out of the corner, because your acceleration is exactly the same as everyone else, you can't gain any ground until you're a ways down the straight, and the slipstream really kicks in. With a rev/speed limiter though, you're likely going to hit a brick wall when you try to pull out of the slipstream, and you just won't be able to pass at all.

Let the cars capitalize on their natural strengths as much as is reasonably possible.

I'm still mentally working out my thoughts on a GT scheme; hopefully I'll have that ready to post here soon.