View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2017, 01:48 (Ref:3779354)   #12
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I thought it was pretty light on as well, but perhaps thats all it was ever intended to be (maybe a proviso for the interview to happen at all?)

My take is that he was done with NASCAR, wanted to come home and felt he didn't want to stop racing, then once he was home and back into it realised he could live without racing, and made the smart decision to stop (pretty much) the minute the desire was lost rather than tool around on a 'retirement tour for the fans'.

His participation in the 2015 enduro's probably worked out ok as well, he did a solid job, and after a few months out of the chair it would have been a good guide to reinforce whether he had made the right choice to stop, or if he missed it and wanted to carry on.

No shame in stopping early, the likes of Geoghegan, Martin and Morris did so as well.
I thought there was an opportunity to detangle the lost motivation/lack of belief he could lead djrtp/belief the car wasnt good enough/belief the cars had changed too much from what he had at SBR grab bag of reasons and to look at them with a bit of hindsight.

Its not like he lacked ability - he wasn't anywhere near the weakest link and the cars improved after a slow start in 2015 (mostly in 2016 and especially now, obviously).

But maybe the relaxed & happy bloke you see on the tv (Ambrose, not Rust) is more than enough of a reason. So good luck to him and good luck to djrtp who are also going along nicely at the moment. The best revenge is to live well, after all. (A reference to Murphy, not djrtp)