Thread: Nissan Leaf
View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2020, 18:00 (Ref:3957278)   #188
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
This is (honestly) a very interesting & technical discussion in which the subject matter, information and calculations are way over my head, but thanks guys, I am finding it interesting.
Down to a more practical level...
The village housing estate where I live was built about 30 - 35 years ago some houses have a garage and maybe a driveway that can take 1 or 2 cars (the bigger the house, the bigger the driveway). A number of the integral garages have been converted into additional rooms, so there's on parking space gone straight away. I would say that on average there are at least two cars to every house (some housed with grown up children have more than 4) meaning that there is a lot of roadside parking. How are these cars going to have their electric fuel tanks re-filled? I have heard suggestions of charging points installed in lamp posts but that would still mean leads stretched all over the place which hardly sound like a good idea. There are many issues relating to changing to BEV's, some of them highly complicated as have been discussed over the last few pages, but there are also some very simple, practical issues that will also need to be resolved before this idea can work too.
Anyway, don't let me stop you boffins, please continue
The idea of lamp post chargers is often talked about .
But the problem is , an average urban street about 1 mile long with about 40 lamp posts will be on a 60Amp circuit . That can only take 1 3.6 KW charger .
A couple of towns have changed all of the street lights to LED , then it is possible to have 2 3.6KW chargers , or 1 7KW unit . But in the places that have done that the cost has then been approx £25,000 per unit .

So , without digging up every street & uprating the cables , uprating all of the substations , [ about £150,000 a time ] , and uprating the grid then it is never going to happen to have many street chargers .