View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2016, 01:13 (Ref:3628242)   #30
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think the 5.5L in the C7Rs are LT1 based, I think they are still the same 5.5L that the C6R GT2/E cars used. I can't remember off-hand what it's called, LS.R or something?

While an old P2 open top chassis might be fairly cheap, surely an older GT3 car could be had for a reasonable price too. This is assuming that IMSA would be okay with an older GT3 car running or having a chance at winning, as BMW for example might not want to see an old Z4 beat out their new M6, so there could be some political stuff involved. Flying Lizard ran the older gen R8 though, but it was fairly anonymous both times.

It is a tough position to put the teams in, but upgrading cars is just part of racing. DP teams had to do it with the new aero, the whole P field will have to do it with DPi, lots of GTD teams had to do it when they moved to the GT3 regs.

There was talk of CORE moving to P2 a few years ago, and we know they aren't short on money. PR1 Mathiasen also supposedly nearly switched to a P2 this season. We already know Starworks is going to P class next year with the Riley. That leaves BAR1, JDC Miller, and Performance Tech that would likely need more consideration than the others, and I'm not sure how well they are off.

IMSA does need to think of the teams, but they also need to think of what is best for the product they put out as that is what will help gain them fans and grow the sport, and in turn help the teams find sponsorship. I'm not saying that it's only PC is holding things back or that they are ruining the show or anything, but IMSA has more to consider than just what these teams want. If left up to the teams, they would probably still be running these same cars 10 years from now so that they don't have to spend any more than the bare minimum.