View Single Post
Old 2 May 2016, 03:57 (Ref:3637726)   #38
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
OK I am sorry for misunderstanding that part .

So it will be LMP 3 chasis only with a yet to be determined motor ?

Also yet to be determined bodywork ?
It would almost be guaranteed to be the same engine and bodywork package as is run in Europe. Being a lower-tier class it will not be worth it to rebrand it.

They'll use the same engine as the current PC cars IF there is a legitimate indication that the P3 engines aren't up to the task(given that they would be running shorter races in Conti than they do in Europe, this would not be a concern if P3 was made a Conti class). Otherwise for the sake of simplicity they will likely adopt the class unaltered, save perhaps for a smaller inlet restrictor to keep the cars at a more reasonable speed for Conti.

Quote:
Which raises the question WHERE is IMSA Lites class headed ?

As I was understanding it IMSA wanted the PC /LMP3 class to be the feeder series to P2 / DPI class ?
The problem with the idea of P3 in IMSA Lites is a simple matter of cost. The LMP3 cost cap is in excess of $200,000, though I'm told the cars are selling for a little under 200K.

The Elan DP02 is considerably cheaper(and, being part of a glorified club series, can remain stagnant for much longer, though they really SHOULD revamp the series), as is the newer Elan NP01(still waiting for reliable lap time info comparing the two cars), so LMP3 REALLY isn't a good idea for Prototype Lites.

P Lites ought to just adopt the SCCA P1 and P2 design regulations, but I doubt IMSA would be willing to do so.