View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1852108)   #11
meb
Rookie

United States
Wappinger Falls, New York
meb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavorpacket,

I signed up with Ian a few years back -SCDA, but never made the events due to work. For the last two years I've been driving with PDA with an event or two with BMWCCA and Fastracks. I have not attended an event with PCA, but the folks at Farnbacherloles in Danbury have performed some setup work on my car and insist I join the club and meet new people. So I'll attend at least one event this year...perhaps we'll catch up there? Would be nice. I work in Bethel.

urban,

I've read that formula in Milliken. I keep think of ways to narrow my question as I go thru the turns on the track. And perhaps the following is clearest...pneumatic trail, from what I understand, is true fidelity. Meaning, this absolutely telegraphs saturation. But some folks add in lots of caster in an effort to increase straight tracking. I understand that high caster values dilute pneumatic trail and therefore saturation. I'm aware enough to know that my thinking is narrowly focused...there are many other potential factors that can make my statement true and not so true???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
in the middle of a turn (ie at max lateral acceleration), your contact patch will most likely not be where it is statically. That's called pneumatic trail, and that's one of the largest sources of steering weight. If you want more weight, add kpi, caster or scrub radius. Only an increase in caster, however, will significantly improve the self-centering effect.

You could also try different tires that have different self-aligning torque values (which is what real drivers use to 'feel' the limit). Unfortunately, that kind of data isnt available to normal customers like yourself, so find others with a similar setup to yours and find out what works.

I've been to the glen and lrp many times (my hometown is about 45 minutes south of lakeville), what groups do you go with? I've had the best experiences with scda and pca.