View Single Post
Old 11 Nov 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3687067)   #60
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
if we're going to get this detailed, don't you also have to look at exactly what the series between f3 and f1 are trying to teach drivers?

the obvious one is tyre management. but apart from that?

working in a big team? f3 teams bring more staff to races than gp2 nowadays, especially the massive ones. complex cars? so many variables on f3 cars, it's a big step up from f4 and f renault... although there's not as many as there used to be.

what else is there?
I don't know if you agree Bella, but F3 actually teaches drivers tyre management by default, the drivers are required to balance and maintain forward momentum because there is no power to fudge mistakes and overdriving the car. This is exactly the same skill set that is required to manage tyres. The car setup is the same, if not more critical than that required in the higher formulae.

The F3 field I believe has more talent in it than the other formulae below F1; certainly going through it; and it is here that talent should be developed. If we compress all the talent into F3 it will be an even better category and will provide the driver comparisons necessary for F1, it will also allow the talented youngsters to shine against the pay brigade, but I guess that is not what is desired in the motor racing hierarchy.

Compressing the junior talent into F3 should also reduce the costs to an individual driver and improve the racing from a spectator point of view.

This create an exotic formula with three entrants and become a chumpion just doesn't work for motor racing.

Last edited by wnut; 11 Nov 2016 at 00:18.