View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3717723)   #9
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see this thread.

Personally, I wouldn't cross the road to see small grids, one make series or utes.

Touring cars are just one class at a race meeting, so they have to have back up with other good grids.

I grew up watching different classes sharing the track, even when the track limit was just 14 cars, but due to the small track size, there was usually something to look at. Empty track is a big no-no in my book. When racing is close and it is a small grid, unless it is a track where visibility is good, not a lot of spectator interest.

I'd rather see a top touring car class, preferably with different looking cars, sharing the track with another competitive class, to make a 30+ car grid. The top level needs to be dramatic and fairly noisy and a bit of slip and slide wouldn't go amiss. I have huge respect for the car control of the drifters, but am not exactly hooked on the clouds of burning rubber. Somewhere between cornering on rails and full out drifting gives a real spectacle.

Support classes, also need decent sized grids and again, if they are also split into sub classes, so much the better. That means more diversity at a meeting. Bigger fields means lower entry fees (or should!) and still give decent profits for promoters. A classic class of some sort is essential for premier meetings too, to enhance the diversity and it doesn't have to be the same classes at every premier meeting either.

So I agree with Bitsa7. We need to look way beyond just one class.