View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3759813)   #2055
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
For anyone in the UK or with the ability to circumvent geo-blocking, there is currently an old documentary on Le Mans of iPlayer (Tuesday Documentary - 24 Hours at Le Mans). And I mean old - it covers the build-up and running of the 1982 race. It principally follows Alain de Cadanet & Guy Edwards' separate efforts to get funding and logistics sorted before covering their fortunes in the race itself.

However, as someone who is relatively recent to sportscars (and who wasn't even born when this race ran), it's the general atmosphere that I found fascinating; everything seems to be ramshackle and thrown together. Of course it wasn't, for the time it was as professional as any other sportscar race, but as someone who has only been exposed to the big-budget factory era there were times when I didn't even think of the issues teams would have faced back then, like the dodgy fuel that was ripping through fuel pump belts.

Even the off-track sections seemed to be from a different age, with sights such as freak shows, crude fairground attractions and gendarmes queuing up to shave at a solitary communal toilet. However, in covering these aspects of Le Mans culture there is some foul language and a couple of shots of strippers, so I won't link the documentary here. But it shouldn't be hard to find for anyone who is interested.